Saturday, November 7, 2015

Can you please stop asking when.........

Do you see that women wondering down the baby section without putting anything in her cart? Or how about the women sitting in the corner of Starbucks looking at the mom struggling to pay and keeping her toddler from grabbing everything? What about your coworker 2 cubicles down? Or even a close friend of yours that shifts in her seat uncomfortably whenever the subject of babies comes up.

She is struggling with infertility. Infertility affects approximately 10% of the population. That comes out to be about 1 in 8 couples that are struggling with infertility. Everyone knows someone that is haunted by this, whether you realize it or not. While I am trying to bring light to this, I find it very therapeutic for myself to blog about this. While others feel the need to suffer in silence. Silence because of the shame, because of the stigma that goes along with infertility. Or because they feel like less of a person. There are so many more reasons to suffer in silence. 

I'm here to say the next time you go to ask someone when they are going to have kids, stop and ask yourself one simple question. If I were that 1 in 8, how would I feel if someone asked me that same question? It might seem like an innocent question but I can tell you it feels like a loaded gun pointed right at me. No matter how open I am about my journey that question always seems to hit me like a ton of bricks and I instantly shut down and look to someone else to answer for me.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great point! Sometimes we need to stop and think before we ask. :)

    ReplyDelete