Sunday, March 11, 2018

16 months strong

DISCLAIMER: In no way am I saying breastfeeding is better for everyone, fed is best! 

Let’s talk breastfeeding, when I found out I was pregnant I knew I wanted to breastfeed, heck prior to even getting pregnant I knew I wanted to do this. So when the time was right I got my prescription and got everything in place for a breast pump. I got the spectra s2 pump and the kindii twist system. I thought I was ready to go, that my body was going to do what it needed to do to continue supporting my babies. Isn’t that funny after knowing my body has a mind of its own with the whole fertility thing I had this silly thought that my body figured it all out. 

True to nature we had a rocky start to say the least. The twins were born early and ended up in the nicu. I was on all kinds of medicine due to my condition. So I didn’t get to start pumping or getting them to latch until the next day. Mind you when babies are born early your body needs time to realize it’s time to start making the “milkies” (nobody tells you this part until after the fact). You first have what’s call colostrum (liquid gold), this is actually the most potent milk and is really amazing for babies first few days. I assumed that my body would automatically make enough for not only one baby but two (there I go assuming again). Boy was I wrong, thank god they were on donor milk for the first few days so I could build up a tiny stash for them, or so I thought. 

We latched them every feeding before giving them what I managed to pump for them in hopes of them stimulating my supply to kick in and make more. There came the time that I had dreaded. I wasn’t keeping up to their needs and they had to be supplemented with formula, this was devastating and my first thought at giving up. My next came when neither of them liked my left side, to this day my left is my slacker. With supplementing them with formula there was two scenarios, either my supply would come in and we could take them off of it completely or the would have to be supplemented the whole time. I found an amazing product, Milky Mama Treats, and within a month of using them not only did my supply come in 10 fold but I was able to completely take them off of supplemental formula. 

While breastfeeding is not for everyone, and that is completely ok, for me it was something I felt so strongly and determined to do. I am grateful that we are now 16 months strong. I was determined to donate milk since the twins where given donor milk while in the NICU. I am so pleased to say that I was able to donate over 200oz to two different families in need.  This is something I am extremely proud and humbled by. Someone was selfless and donated to help my babies so it made me feel so amazing to be able to give back and help others. Not only that in the milk bath photoshoot we did to document this amazing journey, I was able to have my milk mixed in the bath. I am now on the hunt for the perfect breastmilk jewelry (if you have had pieces made please let me know your recommendations), I am excited to be able to have something made from my milk that will last a lifetime.  This whole experience is something that I am extremely grateful for as well as proud of.  I was able to nourish my children for 8 months in the womb and now another 16 while being earth side. The bond that I have made with these two will be my most precious gift. 






Photography credit: Jenny Murphy Photography 
Flower Crowns: Made By Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment